Tuesday 19 July 2011

Reiki in my new role.

I would like to start this post by saying that I don't believe in just giving someone Reiki without them knowing or requesting it. It is one of those things where some people agree with it and some people disagree with it and thats fine, each to their own.

However.

In my new role as a care assistant, I am faced every day with people suffering from Dementia. In my two weeks there my heart has broken for all those suffering as a result of the Dementia. The individual, their family and friends, the carers and nurses. Everyone is affected in some degree. It is a harrowing to see, to watch, to not be able to do anything. And one night, it got too much for me.

I was trying to help M* to bed. Without fail, every night at 7pm, M will start to cry. What will start as a slight worry for M will grow and grow until her body is wracked with sobs. She feels compelled to do something but is unsure what, which feeds the frustration. M will pace around the ground floor until one of us lead her to her room to try, unsuccessfully, to calm her.

This got too much for me, and I was at such a loss as to what to do that, knelt before her, I closed my eyes, placed my hands on her knees and began to channel Reiki. After a few minutes she had calmed down enough to speak to me. I consoled her worries and got her ready for bed. Since then I have used Reiki more in my job. I figure it is down to our Spirit Guides to accept it or not. Reiki will never hurt anyone so I can't be doing any harm by trying.

Sometimes, a soothing, calm demeanor just isn't enough.

(*obviously I'm not going to use her name)

No comments:

Post a Comment